Absolute Moving TIPS
Learn Your Rights and Responsibilities When You Move as provided by The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration YOUR RIGHTS
Learn about recommended MOVING CHECKLIST
PICK THE MOVING COMPANY
- Find out as much information as possible about moving company. Is the company licensed and insured? Are all charges included in the price and where do they apply? How long has the company been in business?
- When getting an estimate include all details, how many flights of stairs, etc. Make an inventory list and include everything being moved, report to the movers about any unusual circumstances.
- Insurance. All Moving Companies are required to include basic coverage for every move. This may not cover the true value of your belongings. If you wish to purchase full replacement protection, visit Baker International at www.bakerintl.com or ask the company staff about it.
- Packing. Find out exactly what is included with your move. Most companies will disassemble, pack, and reassemble large furniture items, but will require you to pack all personal belongings. If you wish the movers to do any additional packing, discuss this beforehand, and find out how you will be charged. Most companies charge per box for packing.
30 TO 60 DAYS BEFORE THE MOVE
- Sell, give away, or discard anything you do not want to take to your new location.
- Return all the things you have borrowed.
- Collect all the things you have lent to others.
- Make airline and hotel reservations if necessary.
- Prepare an inventory of everything you will be moving. Do this room by room.
- Write down the model and serial numbers of all appliances and devices.
- Notify the post office of your change of address. Visit the United States Postal Service website to obtain the proper form.
- Notify your insurance company that you are moving.
- Arrange to disconnect telephone, water, and electricity from your old location on the day after your move.
- Arrange to have the telephone, water, and electricity connected at your new location on the day of your move.
- Arrange to have appliances disconnected (water, electricity, and gas), as well as chandeliers and other electrical objects disconnected.
- Collect all valuable documents, make copies of each one, and place the originals in a safe location. The copies should be placed in another location. These important documents include birth and marriage certificates, medical records, military records, school records, deeds, wills, passports, insurance binders, vehicle registrations, and all other documents that would be difficult or impossible to obtain otherwise.
- Give the moving company the exact address where you will be moving to, indicate the major intersections, and if needed, provide them with a rough map.
1 TO 10 DAYS BEFORE THE MOVE
- Pack suitcases with the personal items you will need until the move is completed and you will have had time to unpack.
- Make a list of the items you will take with you in your car. If possible, place them all together in one room.
- Make labels clearly marked DO NOT MOVE for the items that the movers will not be moving. For your own peace of mind, place them all together in one room.
THE DAY OF THE MOVE
- Pack toiletries and other personal items
- Put the items you will be taking with you in your car in the trunk of the car and lock it.
- Be around the movers: they may have questions that only you can answer.
- Retain copies of any papers you sign.
- When the loading is complete, walk around each room to make sure that nothing has been left behind.
- When you talk to us, please write down the following information. It will help you later on if you have any questions or need further assistance.
Get a FREE Quote!
The Absolute Moving System, established in 2002, is a Moving Company that serves all of New Jersey and tri-state area. This family-owned moving company offers local, long distance and commercial moving services. We specialize in all size moves, from studio apartments to estates, from home offices to large commercial sites.
NJ Lic.# 39PM000847
ICC MC - 440368
US DOT - 1045382